Saturday, March 16, 2013

Special 26 Hindi Movie Review by ReelzOnWheelz

I am so excited this is my first review for a Hindi movie. Well I hope there is excitement on the other side too. As always this is my opinion of this movie , I know am no rotten tomato critic or someone who heads the telegraph. Nevertheless, I am one of the most important person for everyone involved in cinema. Photographer, editor, actor, actresses, producers, music directors and even the light men. Why? Because its for me (or persons like me) you take the movie. We are the viewers you can say the deciders of your destiny.
Watch Trailer of Special 26



So lets get into the review of this movie without further ado. I heard my roommate Dhruv Desai talking about how good this movie was. You can say I was not trusting him too much, as I am such a kind of person who never establishes trust easily on what others say. What caught my eye was the name of the director Neeraj Pandey. The previous outing from him 'A Wednesday' was phenomenal and so that made me grab the copy of the movie from him . The cast of the movie further impressed me, I always find bald headed people to be so attractive (stop that am not GAY). Yes am talking about the great actor Anupam Kher. Then what impressed me more was Akshay Kumar, Manoj Bajpayee and Jimmy Shergill. I think this gives me more than enough reason to watch it.

Neeraj Pandey I believe is one of the best directors of subtle touches. There is not much hype or hoopla surrounding his movie. The content is king, you can see in each scene or every second how gripping he makes the film to be to keep you guessing. He is a master of the art of film-making or making the audience get glued to their seats. The first and foremost thing I love about this movie is there is no love in it but reality. I always believe love is an imaginary term like a dream that we love to have but the thing we always posses is reality. This reality is not loved by many but that's what we need to exist with and you are glad to see a realistic film that you keep loving.

The plot of this movie is set in the 1980 and the visuals are so appealing that you feel bad that you did not live in that time(if you belong to my generation). A group of friends posing as CBI officers headed by PK Sharma( Anupam Kher) and Ajay(Akshay Kumar) rob the rich businessman and politicians. Since its black money there are no complaints registered against them and they keep enjoying their outings. The opening mission in the movie of the scamsters is done with the help of the cop Ranvir Singh (Jimmy Shergill). Ranvir later realizes that he has been tricked into the act by fake persons posing as CBI. Then he joins along with the strict cop Wasim Khan (Manoj Bajpayee) to track these criminals.  In the midst of these happenings Neeraj manages to stitch in a beautiful romance on the cards between Ajay (Akshay) and Priya (Kajal). In the end are the criminals caught red handed or is Wasim left red faced forms the rest of the plot.


Actually personally I felt this was not such an impressive script as its taken from a real incident. It would have been great for a book but for a movie, I was not sure. This is where you will start applauding Neeraj, the way he handles characters and the screenplay. He shows that you can make  a racy screenplay with cinema without any commercial elements and yet make your movie a commercial success. There are so many impressive scenes in the movie or there are so many times you connect with the characters. Be it the reveal of the suave  and strict cop Wasim (Manoj Bajpayee). The jovial nature of Ajay or the cat on the wall portrayal by PK Sharma knowing that what he does is not ethical but necessary as a family-man. The conversations between Ranvir and Wasim just keep hitting the target every time. The last half an hour of the movie is an edge of the seat thriller which keeps you guessing till the last second. You can see the satire of the director giving the literal last laugh to Wasim Khan.

The real hero of the movie is us , as the director succeeds in achieving something all directors only love to do make the audience think. This director is an exception as he lives to do that. I was very glad to know that this movie joined the coveted 10 crore club. This is cinema I believe and hope all of you enjoy thinking in this movie.

It will be too harsh for me to rate this movie anything less than 5 out of 5 as it had everything you asked for and more. But I give it a rating of 4 out of 5 as I still believe there can be more brilliance delivered. There is no limit for achievement. Thanks to the whole cast and crew for this experience of real cinema. 

Thanks for reading

Read More review for this movie on

No comments:

Post a Comment